The Jewelled Vault takes its inspiration from the magnificent jewels owned by the Duchess of Edinburgh, Maria Alexandrovna.
In 1874 Maria travelled from Russia to marry Queen Victoria’s second son, Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh. She brought with her a substantial collection of jewels, which continued to grow as she commissioned new designs from Garrard. When the jewels were not worn, they were arranged by colour and kept in a heavily guarded walk-in vault at Clarence House, a royal residence on the Mall, London.
For nearly 180 years, Garrard’s history has been intimately connected with the sapphire. From the brooch commissioned by Prince Albert in 1840 for his bride Queen Victoria, to the engagement ring worn by the Duchess of Cambridge, the sapphire sits at the heart of Garrard’s most renowned royal creations.